Thursday, September 15, 2011

Thursday, 9/15/2011 Day 8

Casa Grande was great.  A very nice FBO.  The Holiday Inn paid for a cab to pick me (and deliver me back the next day).  Had a great steak and went to bed.  Free breakfast buffet and I was off to the airport but no rush -- I knew that Brown Field in San Diego would be fogged in until about noon.  Off the ground at Casa Grande, I headed west through the Sonoran Desert at 1000 AGL, chasing my shadow and following I-8 all the way into Yuma, AZ.



Yuma is a combination Marine Corps Air Station and public airport with a tower.  I was instructed to maintain 1200 MSL on downwind for RWY 08.  Just before I crossed over the field, the tower advised me that two F-18s would be departing on RWY 3R but (I was told not to worry) they would fly under me at 700 MSL.  Sure enough, they really moved out.  At Yuma, I taxied to Million Air and my Champ and I were treated as if we just rolled up in a G-2!  Before I got out of the plane, I was handed a cold bottle of water, my windshield was cleaned and I topped off the tanks.  Going inside, I was given a ticket that entitled me to lunch for only $1.00!  I had a great tuna sandwich and a soda for $1.00.

I checked the weather and Brown Field was reporting CAVU conditions, so I left Yuma following I-8 all the way to the mountains, climbing until I leveled out at 6,500 MLS which proved to be the correct altitude to clear the mountains.  I followed I-8 through the mountains until I was certain I could descend into the valley below.


 I reported a 5 mile straight in to RWY 26L and the Champ and I landed, completing the first part of our adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment