Thursday, September 8, 2011

The remnants of TS Lee wreaked havoc in PA and NY. The Aeronca Fly-In in PA was cancelled and the 10th anniversary of 9/11 caused me to rethink my flight path. I decided to avoid the disaster area and begin the flight by heading south from C77. I will intercept the trail of the Buck brothers in Fulton KY. Today, 9/8, The Champ and I lifted off the sod Runway 35 @ C77 and headed south to Carbondale, IL to spend the night with my son, his wife & my granddaughter. I took The Champ to 4,500 feet and picked up a 20K tailwind, making the trip in CAVU conditions in only 3 hours, clocking GS at 101 knots. Landed on RWY 36R into a stiff headwind. The Champ seemed to hover. The landing was a nonevent. One minute we were flying and the next moment we were on the ground, barely moving! A good day for the first day of our trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment